Sunday, 21 March 2010

Vintage Faces


Another art swap this month with the England Stampers has a theme of Vintage Ladies, made as a card or ATC.

My creation is a card, but smaller than usual at 3.25 x 4.25 inches. I had a particular Magenta stamp of a woman's face that I wanted to use for this project. Instead of stamping onto cardstock, I used 2 x 2-inch cardboard tiles.

Before stamping the image, I dabbed the tile in Stampin' Up Very Vanilla, which has great coverage. The tiles were allowed to dry naturally overnight.

In the morning, I stamped the face with Memento brown ink, which provides very nice detail and dries quickly. The lips and eyes were colored with alcohol markers, but the rest of the tinting was accomplished with SU chalks. Crystal Effect was used to seal the tile when finished. This takes quite some time to dry; don't force it! When dry, the gold edge was applied. a gold acrylic paint works great.

While everything was drying, that was a perfect time for me to use a die stencil to cut out and emboss the keys using SU gold cardstock. The keys were distressed with brown ink afterward.

Flowers were adorned on the side of the tile to give an illusion of a flower behind the girl's ear. While one flower was purchased, the other five-point flower was made with a SU punch and grunge cardstock. It was colored with stamp ink, coated with clear crackle paint, allowed to dry, distressed with brown ink, and enhanced with crystal glitter. A pink rhinestone was added, too.

Vintage Teddy Bear


In one of our latest art swaps at England Stampers, we are creating cards with cute animal images and stamps.

Once I started to plan out my design, I realized that I have very few cute animal stamps! I guess my issue is that, although I like cute animal stamps, I'm very picky and I don't like images with big eyes and naive drawings. I even went in search of digital images that I could color, but I struck out on that front, too.

Finally, I found in my stash a Penny Black clear stamp set with teddy bears. The teddy is wearing a little sailor top, and it so reminded me of an antique child's bowl with teddy. I guess this indicates how often I watch antique shows -- from Bargain Hunt to the Antiques Road Show!


I decided to take this image in my head and try to make the cute teddy look vintage. However, if you are wanting to make a quick and easy card, this is not the project!

You can see I made several variations of the card. I began by stamping my image and coloring it with Copic markers. Blue glimmer spray was sponged on to create a bit of blue sky in the background.


Then, I tried a couple different methods to make the image look old, like a nicely worn and loved child's bowl. I used VersaMark and thick embossing crystals in one image, and I cracked the piece when it was cool and dry and applied brown stamp ink to antique. I didn't like the results that much, so I switched to a clear crackle paint, which takes ages to dry. Once it did, I could rub in the brown ink. I had best results when I rubbed the brown ink around the edges of the image instead of all over the face of the teddy. Oh well . . . live and learn . . . creating is a very fluid process!


I had recently used the background designer paper for another project, and it really felt right for this one, too. You can see, I tried lots of different layering options, including using a die frame to create frames.


I tried out different embellishments to finish off the card. I liked the image of the bear and the effect of the layering, so I decided not to use a sentiment on the front of the card. That gives me the option to add something inside the card before I send it.

Monday, 8 March 2010

Whimsical Wings

Our Rubber Stamping Group will be making these cards on Wednesday. The cards feature one of my favorite stamp sets from Stampin' Up, Whimsical Wings. It is a hostess set in the current UK Stampin' Up catalog. It is simply delicious!


You don't have to use the same designer cardstock that I chose, but you do need to have some coordinating papers.

The bird image was stamped in pigment ink -- Stampin' Up's Craft Close to Cocoa, and then the image was heat set with SU gold embossing powder. A sponge was used to apply SU Creamy Caramel ink, which was burnished into the paper using a circular motion.

Other Stampin' Up stamps were used to create sentiments that were added to the card.


Easter Scrapbook Layout


This is a scrapbook layout that I designed for an upcoming class for the American Women of Surrey. It features some gorgeous paper called Moravia from SEI.

The photos are of my dear son, Branduff, and they were taken last Easter during a mini-holiday that we had in Lyme Regis in Dorset. These photos were shot in the garden of Forde Abbey. You can click on the image to see it larger and in more detail.

Flocked paper seems all the rage right now, and this designer paper has two different styles of floral flocked images. I used one of the designs, a tan and ivory floral, as the embellishment on the page. The flocked leaves were trimmed out of the designer cardstock.

The Moravia series also has a die cut 12 x 12 sheet, which I trimmed and used as a background on one side and a border trim on the other side.

The Stampin' Up Sizzix die, Top Note, was used to create two frames for the layout.

The background 12 x 12 cardstock is Kraft from Stampin' Up.

Journaling and titles can be added to the edges of the layout.