Thursday, 2 October 2008

Thanks, Michi!

I was quite honored to discover that my friend Michi nominated my stamping blogsite for a Brillante award. Very kewl! Thanks for thinking of me!

You can see Michi's site here:
www.michirhymeswithpeachy.blogspot.com

She is an amazing stamping and paper crafting artist who is big into experimenting with techniques and creating fascinating backgrounds. She particularly loves anything about Tim Holtz and his products and designs!

I'm thrilled to be able to create with such inspiring people as Michi.

Slightly Scary Spider & Skinny

Halloween is so much fun! Although the season is mostly enjoyed by wee goblins, older merry-makers, such as myself, can still carve a pumpkin and dress up!

I belong to a yahoo group (called "persnickety stampers"), and I was jazzed when some Halloween art swaps were announced. In particular, I signed up for the Sparkly Halloween card and the Halloween Skinny, which is supposed to be a long tall artist trading card.

Both of these projects gave me an opportunity to try out some of my dies and embossing folders. In particular, I used a new Cuttlebug folder to create the pumpkin background on this card.


By sloshing on stamp ink or acrylic paint inside the embossing folder and sandwiching in your cardstock, you can easily create depth and color when using your Cuttlebug embossing folders. Hence, the two-toned effect on the pumpkin background. And since the swap called for "sparkly," I added glitter as a highlight on the pumpkins. The Boo and spider were created using both Revolution and Cuttlebug dies. I had some sticky red rhinestones that I used on the eyes of the spider and as an accent on the Boo. Dental floss worked well for the spider web! Lastly, I added a black bead set in a silver mounting as an accent and a feature to create balance.



This skinny is actually a card, folded to the size of 3 by 6 inches. Again, I used my Cuttlebug and Revolution dies to cut out the Spooky word and ghost images. I wanted to give the illusion of "blood" dripping, so I used black glossy cardstock and dripped alcohol inks vertically onto the card. I embossed a leaf-less tree, using an Inkadinkado mini peg set with silver ink and clear embossing powder. Then I discovered something amazing! The embossing powder and heat reactivated the alcohol inks and picked up the colors in the background. Interesting. I might have to try that on purpose one day!

These are the first cards I've made since moving to my new home in the Surrey countryside of England. I managed to organize my crafting space just enough to be able to find what I needed and make these two Halloween projects. Hopefully, they are just the first of many more crafts to be churned out in my Hillside home!